We started the day exploring g different materials and their properties.
We found lots of words to describe them: hard, soft, smooth, rough, opaque, transparent, light, dark, heavy, solid, hollow, biodegradable, man made, natural, bendy, squishy, stretchy, crispy, magnetic.
We then tried to sort them in different ways and made a Venn diagram.
After that there were seven activities to do to help us explore materials.
1. How can you change the shape of play dough? Is it a reversible or irreversible change? What do you do to it to make it change shape?
2. Is corn flour paste a liquid or a solid?
3. Which material is most absorbent?
4. What material would be best to use for an object and why?
5. Melting and setting chocolate to make a chocolate train. What do you do to make it melt? How does it set again?
6. Create a picture with paper but use different techniques to change the paper.
7. Look at microscopic images. What materials can you see?
It was a fun and busy day!